Welcome to 2019 S4!
Launched in 2011, Super Summer Science Search (S4) aims to connect, engage and inspire middle school students to STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Mathematics) over the summer break
S^4 Super Summer Science Search contest to provide students with free access to age-appropriate, academic online research tools as the vehicle to develop:
- Interesting research questions;
- Critical thinking skills to analyze information sources for credibility, bias and accuracy;
- Confidence and competency in using Library databases to seek answers to research questions;
- Effective ways to include and cite authoritative information to support or refute arguments;
- The ability to write persuasive essays, reports and presentations that summarize and synthesize a students’ scientific research;
- Presentation skills through story telling.
We are excited to announce our 2019 program schedule, which will start with the kick off meeting on Saturday, 6/1 at Cupertino Library Courtyard at 3:00pm.
Key Dates & Resources:
|Date & Time||Location|
|Kick off Info Session||Saturday||June 1st, 2019||3:00-5:00pm||Cupertino Library Courtyard|
|Study Session #1||Saturday||June 15th, 2019||2:00-5:00pm||Story Room|
|Study Session #2||Saturday||June 29th, 2019||2:00-5:00||Story Room|
|Study Session #3||Sunday||July 14th, 2019||2:00-5:00pm||Story Room|
|Study Session #4||Sunday||July 21st, 2019||2:00-5:00pm||Story Room|
|Paper deadline||Wednesday||July 31st, 2018||11:59pm|
|Judging period||August 1st – Augst 18th|
|Award Ceremony||Sunday||August 18th, 2019||2:00-5:00pm||Community Hall|
- Info session: Introductory information packet
- Topic for study session #1: Team forming, Topic selection, Database Research & Journal.
- Topic for study session #2: Topic exploration, experiments & essay writing.
- Topic for study session #3: Youtube video, project submission & deadline.
Study sessions will be recorded and will be available on the website after each study session takes place.
There is a 2 step process for registration:
1) Register on Google form: click here
2) Register on Google classroom to participate in virtual classroom and submit your end project. Classroom code: os81fx9
Note: use the same gmail for both step 1 & 2
- $400 Amazon gift card for 1st Place, or equivalent price prize
- $200 Amazon gift card for 2nd Place, or equivalent price prize
- $100 Amazon gift card for 3rd Place, or equivalent price prize
By participating in the S4 Super Summer Science Search contest, students agree to comply with these Terms and Conditions.
- Ensure that the work, including words, ideas and sentence structure, is entirely the student’s own;
- Acknowledge the contributions of others to their work;
- Enclose verbatim text in quotation marks and include a citation to the source of the verbatim text;
- Include a citation to any words or ideas which are not the student’s own;
- Use the student’s own words and sentence structure; and
- Identify the source of any paraphrased content.
Contest participants shall not:
- Steal or paraphrase someone else’s idea and pass it off as the student’s own;
- Copy text from an original source and place it into the student’s work without crediting the source; or
- Obtain or use any contribution of words, ideas or sentence structure from the student’s parents, educators or other adults, and place it into the student’s work.
If you have any questions, please contact S4@cupertinolibraryfoundation.org